In this week’s “How to Tie” video feature, Cheech from Fly Fish Food prepares us for the infamous salmonfly hatch with a true trout magnet variation, a Chubby Chernobyl Salmonfly.
As we approach one of the most anticipated hatches of the year, it seems necessary to cover a pattern that could become your best friend. Salmonflies are a member of the stonefly family that grow to comparatively large sizes. These bugs can reach lengths of up to three inches long, and large trout can’t help but gorge themselves. This can be one of the most exciting time of year to target trout and using a Chubby Chernobyl Salmonfly is one way to make your efforts successful.
It is no secret that Chubby Chernobyl’s are one of the most effective dry flies on the market today, as they cover a wide variety of top water insects. This Chubby Chernobyl Salmonfly will ride like a cork on the water and makes for the perfect dry dropper setup. When it comes to matching a true Salmonfly, this pattern does it excellently. Only using a small amount of orange will accurately match the hatch and may just make your day on the water one to remember.
Tying this Chubby Chernobyl Salmonfly is relatively simple and with a bigger hook size this fly will ride high all day. Nothing beats dry fly fishing during the summer, and throwing patterns that are inches long is as exhilarating as it gets. Pairing this with a large salmonfly nymph will make a perfect rig to cover all of the water column. Every cast during this hatch has the potential to stick the trout of a lifetime and this Chubby Chernobyl Salmonfly is a pattern that could make that happen.
- Hook: TMC 5263 Nymph & Streamer Hook – 25 Pack – 4
- Thread: Semperfli Classic Waxed Thread – 6/0 – Fl. Orange
- Tail: Krystal Flash – Black
- Body: Bruiser Blend Junior Dubbing – Black
- Body (Body 2): STS Trilobal Dubbing – Black
- Thorax: Ice Dub – UV Hot Orange
- Thorax (Alternate): Ice Dub – UV Shrimp Pink
- Thorax (Alternate 2): 7 day sticky note
- Foam 1: Fly Tying Foam – 2mm – Black
- Foam 2: Fly Tying Foam – 2mm – Brown
- Wing: EP Trigger Point Int’l Fibers – Pale Morning Dun
- Legs: Round Rubber Legs – Medium – Black
Now you know how to tie a Chubby Chernobyl Salmonfly!
Video and ingredients courtesy of Fly Fish Food.