Tragically, Hurricane Ian came up north towards Florida’s Gulf Coast this week. The Hurricane has impacted local counties, Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Hardee, Hillsborough, Lee, Manatee, Pinellas and Sarasota. While these communities are in a state of recovery, it’s important to get people the supplies and support they need. In this case, how can people help support Floridians, local guides, fly shops, and anglers? The fly fishing community has already stepped up and started fundraisers and relief programs for people to donate:
How to donate:
Captains for Clean Water
Captains for Clean Water is currently setting up drop-off sites to collect supplies for relief efforts. If you live locally, check out the Captains for Clean Water’s post below for requested supplies:
Sight Line Provisions
Sight Line Provisions is currently selling Captains for Clean Water products for Hurricane Relief, if you’re interested in purchasing click here.
Bonefish & Tarpon Trust
To support the Bonefish & Tarpon Trust, click the link here. To read the full article from Garden And Gun Magazine click here.
Set your own auction with #fliesforian:
Josh Mills is running a program #fliesforian. Mills has organized relief programs as well as fundraisers for past disasters like the Oregon fires, Australian wildfires, and has contributed to programs like the Wild Steelhead Coalition. This is a great program to raise money for the people that have been involved in the Hurricane by using the hashtag #fliesforian.
How to support and join #fliesforian:
- Determine your offer (whether this is a dozen of your favorite hand-tied flies, gift cards, guide trips, or cash donation in support of the relief)
- Host the auction on your Instagram page, opening bid and auction end date
- Tell us your “why” supporting this cause
- Include the tag #fliesforian in your post and description
- Designate @igfa_official or appropriate charity of your choice.
- Challenge and invite others to join
Active auctions in place with #fliesforian
This story is developing and will be updated as news is released. Article from Flylords Team @nelson_oxley.